The Sacrament of Baptism is conferred upon children on the basis of the faith of the parents and their commitment to provide for nurturing the child in the faith that they profess. For this reason, it is important that parents understand fully what they are undertaking and that they accept the responsibilities with the solemn intent to fulfill their roles as Christian parents.
St. Thomas the Apostle Parish seeks to assist parents in developing appropriate understanding of their responsibilities through a baptismal preparation program prior to conferring of the sacrament. The program consists of:
- A meeting with the Director of Religious Education (for first time parents). This meeting will include instruction in the faith and Sacraments appropriate to the needs of the parents, the recording of appropriate information required for the Baptismal Registry, and a description of the rite and the role of each participant in the rite. A date and time for the ceremony will also be discussed. Godparents should also be present at this meeting. The meeting will be arranged at a mutually agreeable place and time.
- Distribution of literature descriptive of the Sacrament of Baptism. A copy of “Your Baby‘s Baptism“, published by Ligouri Publications, is provided for the parents.
- Collection of sponsor certificate form(s) from the godparents. It is generally expected that the godparents (one Godfather and one Godmother) will be practicing Catholics. A member of another Christian faith may serve as a Christian Witness for the Baptismal candidate if there is one Godparent who is a practicing Catholic. Catholic godparents who are not members of St. Thomas the Apostle parish are requested to obtain a sponsor certificate form from their own parish attesting to the fact that they are practicing Catholics.
- Although there is no set charge for the sacrament, it is customary to give a donation to the church (stole fee). The amount of the contribution is at the discretion of the parents. Checks may be made payable to St. Thomas the Apostle Church and should be given to the Director.
- Should parents desire additional information or have any questions that arise after the meeting, they are encouraged to contact the Director.
The normal time for conferring of the Sacrament of Baptism is at 12:00 each Sunday except for the last Sunday of the month. All Baptisms are done by our Deacons.
The sacrament may also be conferred during a Sunday Liturgy (providing the parents have selected this option in sufficient time to make appropriate preparations, and no conflicting parish activity is planned for that liturgy.)
Special permission is required for private Baptisms.
The baptismal candle and white garment used in the Baptismal Rite are provided by the parish.
To arrange for a baptism or for additional information, please contact Elizabeth Kiselica, Director of Religious Education, at (860)523-4209.